So I am changing up my rifle battery and wanted to get some advice. At the moment, I am fairly open minded, though I do have some specific requirements.

I am looking at a two rifle set.

For my primary hunting rifle, I am looking at a 300 win mag, though some have suggested I do a 7 mag to get lower recoil. I plan to use this rifle for everything in NA, including dreaming about Alaska and shooting long range at the range. I am used to shooting a 375, so I am not without some experience with recoil.

For this rifle, as it needs to be carried, I am looking at a Weatherby Vanguard put together by the custom shop. Essentially, it will be one of their range certified guns in an ultralight bell and carlson stock. Basically, a range certified Backcountry, sans the fluting and cerakote. With my scope and talley ultralights, it should come in at around 8.3 poundsish. I do not want to go higher than 9, and 8.5 seems about right.

For the second rifle, I plan to use it mainly as a practice and training rifle at the range and in some classes I plan to take. The idea is to become comfortable shooting at long range in practice, to make shooting at much more moderate range in the field possible. So for this rifle, I am much more unsure. I don't want anything close to the 300 (or 7mm if I go that way), I thought a good companion that would be good for the 1k range I have locally would be a 223 at the bottom (cheaper ammo, no recoil, but not good at that range), a 243, or a 6.5 of some sort(creedmore, 260 remington?).

Weight wise, fairly heavy barrel for stiffness and cooling. I won't have to carry it around a bunch, so heavy is fine.

I am more solid on the direction of the hunting rifle, much less so on what would make a good companion for it given my needs.

Thanks!