Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Too many variables, too many different hunting venues to generalize.

Here in LA, if I wasn't going out West and just hunted locally, it would be very hard to beat a 30-06 and a .223, both high quality, accurate rifles with appropriate glass. That combo would cover just about any type shooting/hunting we would ever do.

Boring maybe...

DF

Not really boring, practical!

I think that one thing that makes answering questions like this difficult is that it is impossible, or very difficult, to really understand what the need is from a short post. Everyone's answer is probably correct, even if they disagree, if you take into account the specific circumstances, needs and desires of that person and their situation.

While I have not been able to point to one post here and say 'that's the way to go', hearing all the arguments from the various perspectives has helped me think about and consider a lot of things that I would otherwise not have thought of. I think I would probably have made some expensive mistakes if I had not read all these posts, which lead me to additional research etc.

So while I have not finally made a decision, I have been able to add a lot of important data points to my consideration that are helping me to formulate a course of action that will fit MY specific needs and wants.

Ultimately, I'll probably end up with 3 rifles, one of them being a 223. But that one will have to wait a bit. Still working on the other two, but mainly, it's the long range bench rifle that I don't have finally figured out.

But thanks to all for the advice and perspectives. It has been illuminating to say the least, and very helpful!