A little late to the thread and not as experienced as previous posters, but was in the same situation as you.

I have used the 7mmRM for hunting in the US. I have not shot any elk or bears, but from what I have read and seen, with 160gr Partitions, which is my load, I shouldn't be too handicapped should I get the chance to go after them.

Wanting to get some more practice and work at long range (and with a 5yo who at some point I want to get shooting) I thought hard, researched and settled on the .243win. As it turns out one came up in the classifieds here and it was too a Savage 110E. So now both are long actions Savages, even better.

So I have now 2 SaLvages in almost same config , the 7RM does have a wooden stock and 24" bbl, the 243 has the factory one tupper one and 22".
Re: twist rate, I just loaded up my first batch of 95gr BT rounds to see how it work, but with Fed 100gr factory stuff shot well. I have a friend that shoots 105 Amax with excellent results in M70. No need for custom barrels.

Reading opinions from more experienced user I guess I wasn't wrong in my choices... even if for the wrong reasons (the 7RM I bought used from a friend's friend, when I moved here so I just bought it on the cheap).

Last edited by Sponxx; 11/10/14. Reason: twist rate