Originally Posted by 78CJ
I have had my son shooting all summer with 22 Grains of SR 4759 in his Encore chambered in .270. The bullet he has been using is a HDY Interlock 130 grain. It just dawned on me that he may be a little under gunned. Shots will be inside of 100 yards. I called Hornady but they told me the minimum for that bullet is 2800fps for reliable expansion which I don't buy so that ended that conversation. I am thinking with this load he is doing about 1800 FPS.

Now season starts saturday and I will go back to the drawing board if need be, but just curious what thoughts are.

Ryan

Ryan,
Looks like you got a lot of opinions with a few backed by some field experience(s). I reload light loads for my wife's 30-06 so have a little experience, but not with the 270 your loading.

I'm going to fall on the side that thinks you may have expansion problems with that bullet.

Here's a couple of thoughts I can offer:
1) Shoot that load across a chrony so your not guessing what velocity its going.
2) Line up about 5 one gal milk jugs filled with water and shoot'em. Look for the hole size from one jug to the next and try to find the bullet if it stops.

Last edited by RaySendero; 11/12/14.

Ray