Originally Posted by BradD
Boltman

Nice Marlins. I was just thinking about that.

Speaking of carbines; there was a group of five or six 1886 .33 rifles in my neighborhood back when Dad was a kid. I got a chance to look at one of those rifles a few years ago. It was a standard 33 WCF rifle configuration, all factory original, but it had been made with a SRC receiver. I imagine SRC 1886 sales were slow late in production and they used those up? Unfortunately there was just a big hole in the receiver were the saddle ring would have been. The owner said his father had taken the stud out and made an enlarged hole in the receiver to hold the bracket that held the flashlight.

Brad - If in fact the 1886 .33 was original, it could have been a parts clean-up gun. Another possibility is it was shipped as a SRC and later sent back and the configuration changed. Also, a rifle could be special ordered with a, "sling ring." By the way, I have seen one or two .33's in the configuration you described. Might have been the same gun.

Don - I did have the vague recollection of one M71 in .45/90. Wow - that would be one to have!

In bringing this back to Savages, here is one that is suggested to be, "special order":

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=453509957

I seriously doubt anyone will be upset over posting this particular live auction. It's already been around at least once. Actually, this one might not be a bad woods hunter. Except for the, "special order aspect" it is a pretty decent first model EG wink

Last edited by boltman; 11/16/14.