Every time this conversation comes up (and it comes up a lot), the same tired old nonsense gets thrown around without any real evidence either way if it is accurate information gathered from anecdotal information or just good old boys discussing guns at the local bar.

In my opinion only, the .45 has been proven to have more effect on human flesh and stopping power given best hollow point bullets and decently lethal upper body penetration.

I've read enough anecdotal evidence to throw my opinion this direction and your milage may vary.

Also, I've read enough stories of CCW shooters emptying magazines of all sizes and not hitting squat except maybe the house down the street or their own car windshield, even with the perp within arms reach.

My point is that one WELL PLACED shot with a sufficiently large hollow point is enough deterrent to outweigh a hundred shots lobbed in utter fear and hoping to connect with something. In my opinion, of the currently (and historically) available rounds that are of carry size and capability, the .45 meets that criteria best of all of them with good hollow point rounds and sufficient practice to shoot instinctively.

Now, the other argument isn't necessarily how small you can go- IMHO, the .380 is marginal in a defense situation, but in this situation any gun is better than no gun- the argument is that too many carry too much gun that they simply couldn't shoot well in a defense situation no matter the opponent. Small, short barreled .44's of all flavor, snubbie's loaded with plus P or .357 Mag ammo, and other large and heavy weapons are best suited to movies and tiny actors who need a penis enlargement. Not only that, many of the larger framed pistols (including autos) are decidedly difficult to conceal and most people couldn't reload them quickly and efficiently enough to defend themselves between shots much less shoot well enough once reloaded.

Your milage may vary in this regard and I'm quite sure every one of you thinks you will kill every perp who dares to point a gun in your direction. However, evidence of past cases tends to disagree with this assessment. I don't overly estimate my abilities- I'm quite sure I will have the same fear induced trauma that all on here would have- including many LEO's I've talked to. However, for what it's worth, I will have a gun in my hand that fits me, shoots well, has proper ammo, and I know intimately and shoot instinctively, including reloading- of which I usually carry at least 2 additional mags on my carry chassis.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.