The biggest advantage is that you pretty much always take one last look with your glasses before you put one in the chamber and get in position to shoot. Just hit the button and you're done. The combo just can't be beat. I won't get another set of plain jane binos again. I bought the original Leica's when they first came out and loved them. I gave them to my guide in '07 as a tip, bought another pair and used them since. Last summer I bought the Swarovski and 2 weeks ago dropped off the Leica's at my local gun shop to sell.

I think hands down the Swarovski are the better ones on the market, and it really isn't close. Boils down to glass and bulk.

Both are decent rangefinders, the least important factor. Both range well over 1200 yds, but so what...it really doesn't matter after 1000 anyway-- you're still hiking. At those ranges you need the best glass possible. Having hunted with both, glassing brown bear on Kodiak at over 2 miles, I'd chunk the Leica in a garbage pail without hesitation.

Leica glass is just not up to par with Swarovski (or Zeiss) and never has been. Good glass, best of the rest, but just not as good. When Leica was the only player you could have made an argument about using better Zeiss or Swarovski glass and a separate rangefinder and I wouldn't disagree with you as it really boiled down to what you felt was more important- convenience or better glass.

I used to look at it this way- I didn't mind compromising and leaving my Swarovski & Zeiss at home because it was worth having the built in rangefinder. Now, that Swarovski is on the market there is no reason to compromise.

Also, the Leica are just pigs........just way too bulky, especially on backpack hunts, they're always in the way.

Regardless, both are quality products and you really can't go wrong with either one you choose, but the Swarovski are hands down better.

PS I understand Zeiss are having some teething issues but if they ever get those sorted out......

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 11/23/14.