I've been following this thread closely. I think I'm about to buy one of these. For reference I have a pair of Swarovski 8X30 SLC that I bought new in the '90's. I sent them in about 3 years ago for a clean and tweak and they sent them back fully upgraded - new eye cups, body, objective lenses, diopter adjuster and lots of internal parts. I compare everything I look through to them. I use a Leica rangefinder. I also have a pair of Kaibab HD 15X56 tripod binoculars that I rarely use. I'll probably sell all three of these.

I want a bit more magnification and more field of view, plus an integrated range finder. A buddy has an older pair of Leica RF binos that I've tried. I had pretty much decided that I would go with the Leica 10X42 HD-B. I have played with them at the store quite a bit. They are certainly bigger than my 8X30's but when you add the Leica rangefinder around my neck, the two pieces together are about the same weight as the 10X42 HD-B's but are very awkward.

I was coming back in town today about 45 minutes before dark. It was snowing and blowing pretty good. So I swung by the store and brought both the Swarovski and Leica outside and compared them and my Swarovski 8X30's. Both are noticeably better than my 8X30's and they should be! The specs show the Leicas have more field of view than the Swarovskis. That was evident too. I tried both pairs with my gloves on. The Swarovskis were really difficult for me to grip and hit the button with gloves on. I also noted that it would be really hard to hit the button while bow hunting as a right hander. After I got the Swarovski's display adjusted, it was not hard to see. It is noticeably slower to range compared to my older Leica RF and to the new 10X42 HD-B's. The range finding functions on the Leica are great. Very fast. I ranged a piece of brush across the highway at 1139 yards in the snowstorm. The Swarovskis took three tries but got the same reading.

I was hoping that there would be a big difference in the glass. I didn't find it. Granted I am used to an older pair of binos. Both are noticeably brighter, crisper to the edges and require less focusing. I swapped back and forth between the two until after dark. There may be a slight edge towards the Swarovskis, but it was not huge to my eyes.

I enjoy long range shooting all year long. So the rangefinder capabilities are important to me. I nearly bought one of the G7 rangefinders that are on sale now. They are BIG. Especially when combined with a pair of binoculars. Between the two that I'm looking at, the Leica rangefinder performance trumps the minimal (to me) optics advantage of the Swarovskis. I'm about 80% decided on the Leicas but still open to opinions.

I guess I just need to make Shrap an offer on his. Thanks for all of the info.

Bob

I met a French guy the other day. I asked him "Do you speak German?" He said "No." I said "You're welcome!"