My Saskatchewan deer hunt:

Went with Harley Nault, Martineau River Outfitters. Really cold the whole week and took a nice 8 pointer, or 10 if you count the 2 stickers off the G2.

Nice accommodations as we stayed at Harley's house. His wife did all the cooking and was real good. He has a quonset hut building that is finished and insulated and the cement floor was heated. We dressed into our hunting clothes out there and was a good gathering area for days end before supper.

I did see lots of deer and two days I saw 8 or 9 different bucks, passing on them. On day 5, Friday I saw a nice buck with a high rack. I knew he wasn't wide but he was heavy. I watched him in a big barley stubble field to my left for a few minutes then he disappeared into the bush. Three hours later he was in a different field to my right. He worked down a brush line freshening a scrape then back into the bush. I could only get a look at his left side and at 200 yards I couldn't see his right side very good. Then a couple does pop out to my left and a small buck in the field. Wasn't long before the big boy pops out and I get a look at his right side. He had something going on and there and he was a little closer so I shot. He went right down and turns out I hit him in the neck. Not where I had aimed but better to be lucky than good sometimes.

Would I go back? Not right away as Harley is going to shut down his main camp where we stayed, which is at his house. I don't want to pay that much for a deer hunt, which was $5200 US each year. Lots of opportunities in the states for that kind of money, and not have to go through customs and all that BS. Plus on the way home we had to spend a night in Minneapolis as a flight got delayed coming out of Edmonton.

He has two other camps farther north which he had 5-6 at each camp. He isn't cheap but I went on recommendations, and with that friend. He has been there a few times before so I figured it would be a good hunt.

Overall everything went fine with the hunt and outfitter. It was a four - five hour drive from Edmonton. Harley doesn't have a web site but a search will give info and phone #.

Pic of my buck.

[Linked Image]

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)