Our guys started hunting together right after WWII, in 1946. Dad, and one of the others had all ready hunted Clearfield County before the war. Originally they stayed with a local woman who took in hunters for the season. The lot for the camp was purchased for $50.00 in 1949. At the time, there was a 200 acre working dairy farm for sale in the area for $500.00. No one had any money, so our little piece of heaven was all they could afford. There were 5 original members, all veterans of WWII. They all served overseas, in both the Asian and European theaters. The camp was built out of hand me downs and anything the guys could scrounge for free. It started out as a simple one room cabin. Over the years, a kitchen was added and then expanded, and a dining room eventually went in. Back in the heydays of Pa. deer hunting, we'd have 10 to 14 guys in camp. Harvests were good. The camp accounted for many deer, bears, turkeys, and lots of small game and trout during the summer. My first deer season was in about 1975. It took me ten years to notch a tag. If my grades weren't good, Dad didn't let me go to camp, which meant I had to hunt back home in Ohio with a full choked 870 and slugs. At the age of 21, on the 2nd Tuesday of the Pa gun season, a spike buck simply appeared in front of me from out of nowhere, and I took my first deer. Sadly, this would be Dad's last hunt. He passed away the following spring. He was the last surviving member of the original crew, the Olde Guard, as we like to call them. Now, it's down to me and my brother. My son will hunt with us this fall. Ironically, he's been hunting for 10 years and hasn't filled a tag yet. We hope this will be his time to shine. He will be carrying a very special gun. Dad's beloved old 99, chambered for 300 Savage, and topped with the iconic K-4 Weaver. I can only wonder how many millions of deer have found themselves in the crosshairs of a K-4 topped Savage.

Here's to all the camps that will be coming to life here shortly. May the hunting be good, and memories even better. Good luck guys.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla