Originally Posted by selmer
Originally Posted by akpls
My son is farther north and west in Iowa and says that there are tons of deer and turkey around to hunt. Iowa doesn't allow rifles for deer hunting...shotgun, bow or muzzleloader only.

This isn't quite right. The lowest tier of counties has a late season rifle season, and anywhere else you can use a handgun of any sort, as long as the chambering is in a straight-walled cartridge. If you're a stand hunter, a TC Encore set up with a .375 Winchester, .45-70 Govt, .357 Max, .44 Mag, .454 Casull, etc. is a GREAT option - I used one in Iowa for 8 years and killed bunches of deer with one. Any accurate handgun is better than most shotgun slug options, and if you reload, WWAAAAYYYYYY cheaper to shoot.

I just went down to the court house and bought my deer tags for the 2 early gun seasons and the late muzzle. I asked and the gal told me there would not be a late antlerless rifle season this year. The disaster we had a couple years back with the "blue tongue disease" wiped out probably 70% of our local deer population and they just now figured out we don't need to thin out any more does.

I do all my Iowa deer hunting with a handgun, the only way to fly. grin

Black Cows Matter!