I never fired a rifle until I was 16. First rifle was an 06 Savage 110. It kicked the living hell out of me. 1 or 2 shots no problem but sighting in I was developing a flinch. I sold it. I went full circle and now own 2 30.06's and probably acquire a couple more although the 308 win is slowly changing my mind on adding more? I didn't have anyone to teach me to rifle shoot. My father was a strictly shotgun person and only owned 1 shotgun a 12 gauge. It was difficult to learn how to shoot or what to get not having anyone who could teach or show you. Rifles were considered taboo in my family since the range they possessed and the fact no one hunted medium game in my family. I learned a lot from then til now and still learn.

Royce not sure what rifle you are considering but you should be able to find it "online" if you can't find it in your retail store. You can always find a used 243, 308, 7-08 and convert it to a 260/257 with a barrel swap. Tikka T3, Remington SPS, Kimber should be able to be found with a little looking? Check over at Euro Optics.