Every variable scope with LRD that I know of is intended to be used at its maximum power when using the dots at long range. If you try to use it at a lower power, the yardages will be off (and off the most at the lowest power).

I have a couple of Leupold 6x42mm fixed power scopes with LRD reticles and obviously that eliminates any confusion over power settings. I sight my rifles in at 300 yards, using the 300-yard dot, and then check to see if I am off at 200 enough to worry about when using the crosshair.

Another solution is a custom BDC elevation dial that can be ordered from Leupold for their scopes. A BDC is not affected by the power setting. I have a 4 Leupold scopes with BDC's and also sight them in at 300 yards and then set the BDC at the 300 mark. Then I dial it back to the 100 and 200 yard settings to see if it is on at those ranges.

The instructions tell you to sight at 100, set the dial at 100, and then you are supposed to be "on" with the dial set at longer ranges, but when I tried that I was a couple inches off at 300. By sighting and setting at 300, I believe I will be much closer to POA at the longer ranges, because I eliminated that error that resulted from sighting and setting at 100.

My range only goes to 350 yards so I can't easily check to see if the longer range dots or BDC settigs are truly "on", but am sure I will be close by being precisely sure of the 300 yard setting.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 11/28/14.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...