Glad to hear you're OK but for the grace of God you could not be home to type your post!

I don't use climbers but I use a lot of hang on stands with ladder sticks and there are a couple things I do to be safe.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS wear a safety harnass - no excuse for not wearing one!

ALWAYS use a Lineman's belt when setting up stands for the first time and taking them down after season - ALWAYS!

When you set up your stand ALWAYS put a life line in the tree. Most falls happen getting off the ladder onto the stand or out of the stand on the ladder, without a life line you're not connected at these times. If you think $30 is to much to pay for a life line look at your childs face and tell me again $30 is to much to make sure you get home?

Carry your cell phone (on silent) somewhere were it's easy to get to in case you need to call for help.

I live alone so it could be days before someone notices me missing so I text my sister every time before I go hunting. She knows that if I don't call or text within 45 minutes after dark to call me, if I don't answer she has the numbers of my buddies who know where I hunt and know where my stands are.

A couple years ago I had an accident that was a freak thing and resulted in no injury at all but could very easily have resulted in my death in a tree stand. After going home and seeing my daughter's face when I told her about what happened I decided right there that safety is #1, not for me but for those around me that I love. All the money we spend on hunting there is no reason for not haveing the best safety equipment available.