Postak
The safety line is a Hunter Safety System rope with a prussik knot on a 6' piece of rope. The knot is attached to a carabiner. I had the knot slid too far down the rope because I was coming down about 3" at a time. It allowed me to move twice before having to slide the rope down the tree. If I would have kept my rope shorter, I wouldn't have been able to fall completly backwards with my feet trapped in the foot climber straps.

slumlord
The stand was an Old Man Grand Multi Vision. I still haven't completly examened it this morning but last night it looked like the pin holding the cable around the tree came out. There were vines in that tree and I assume one grabbed the pin enough to remove the wire loop holding it in place.

I still highly recommend all safety harnesses and ropes attached to the tree when climbing and going down. They have saved a lot of lives. Mine would have caught me if I would have had it adjusted closer to the tree so I couldn't tumble backwards. I never envisioned getting caught with my feet in the straps of my foot climber.