In southeastern British Columbia we complain about the incursion of Montana wolves. Strangely, they don't seem to be pushing the elk on to private land here; at least not on to my land. Perhaps some welcome signs would help.
A few years back, many of the ramchers put up (subsidized) eight foot fences to keep elk out of their hayfields. Prior to this, a field adjacent to my place was a popular spot for "hunting" elk. So popular, in fact, that it was hunted day and night. There were times when there would be upwards of a half dozen hunters surrounding that field waiting for the elk to come in. I would not have been in the least surprised if someone had been hit in the crossfire. Now, with the elk fences in place and a liberal cow/calf season for the last half dozen years, the field is a much quieter and safer place. The range is still a bit overgrazed in spite of a 70% reduction in elk numbers but there appears to be no explanation for this. The reduction in elk numbers is easily explained though; it's those Montana wolves! GD