Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
To me that was an exceptional thing, not ordinary... The Xs have come to be absolutely reliable and the reason I dote on them...

I want every bullet shot at a bear to find dirt on the other side...

I know you're not a fan of the Partition and that's fine. I will continue to use them as they have never failed me, not once.

I don't think thats a fair statement but the partitions do loose weight, they are designed to. And the Barnes is a better way to do it, accomplish the same and generally at little to no weight loss.

Being that weight is part of the formula for penetration, I'd say I"m allowed to say Partition was the holy grail of its day, and rightfully so compared to standard cup and core bullets.
But that Barnes is the holy grail of today by far.

I"d rather trail it a bit longer if need but but always have two holes..

The partition of 180s in a 300 wtyb failed to exit on a frontal shot on a whitetail of about 150 pounds live weight, shot in the front of the chest facing me and found in the hindquarter.

That was my go to elk load if I ever got the chance.... after the deer and some similiar instances on Nilgai, no way.

Though to be fair John B has told me if I"d have gone to 200 partitions IO"d have been fine.

No problem, found Barnes and don't have to worry at all anymore.

My bullet this year out of the measly 338-06, 210 ttsx, broke the neck, and shoulder of that moose, and was almost able to exit the hide on the off side. That was something I don't think a partition would have made it that far penetration wise.

Of course the first thing either bullet would have done was break the neck so it wouldn't have been an issue...

Oh yeah, last partition example, same load as above, 225 pound live weight white tail. Only target I had at 125 ish yards was his neck. Bullet broke it, but was siting there out of energy peeled open on THIS side of the vertebrae.... Never made it even through the vertebrae. That was about the last test of the 180s for me...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....