Originally Posted by GSSP
The new mold from Veral Smith. 250 gr LFN, casts to 252-254 gr with WW. Unsized = .371". With Gator Checks and BuffaloArms Lyman sizer cut to .366", I'm getting .3675" to .368". Took a throating reamer to my chamber and am still having an issue getting loaded dummy round to chamber fully. I don't want to take too much out of the throat. I'm thinking that the .3675" to .368" diameter is having an issue getting past the leade to the throat. I am able to fully chamber the cartridge but I'm seeing marks on the bullet a full .19" of the bearing surface. Wondering if I buy a Lyman .363" size die and invert the bullet to size down to the first lube groove.

Opinions?

Alan

That is worth a try. Take a mic to the base/gas check and then the front driving band. Bet the band is fatter...because the sizing die is tapered and the tightest diameter will be at the bottom of the die.

Size nose first, then the base.

I took the bottom guts off one LAM and use flat and cupped punches to size nose first bullets lubed and checked in a larger die in another LAM used just for lubing.

One should also note the bullet will spring back somewhat after sizing.