Originally Posted by 250_3000

Ok, so I've learned now, there are companies who load the 38 to higher pressures and it can meet 9mm +P energy. I don't think I'd shoot those near 357 - 38 special loads in the lighter framed LCR 38 special. So I'd either buy the 357 model or the 9mm model. I chose the 9mm model and prefer it over the 357 for a few reasons.

1). 9mm ammo is cheaper and can be shared with several of my 9mm semi-autos.
2). I like the moon clips more than 38 speed loaders. Less bulky, quicker loading for me.
3). With a short nose, lightweight handgun, I believe there is a balance to be struck between power and recoil. With the 9mm, I have found my balance and I can shoot the dickens out of it. I could find that same balance using the 357 LCR, and it would likely be somewhere below standard 357 loads and above standard 38 loads. But the 9mm already does it for me perfectly,

Note: on Buffalo Bores website, for their 38 +P Outdoorsman load, they say, "In the super lightweight alloy revolvers (around 11-12 oz.) the bullet will not jump crimp under recoil provided you do not subject an unfired round to more than 5 or 6 firings."

I'd stick with the stouter 9mm or 357 LCR frames for the heavier loads.

I hand load all my rifle ammo, but not so much for handguns. Thanks for providing some insight to what your hand loads can do. It has got me thinking about getting a mold and casting some bullets too.

You have good points and everyone has different criteria for what is best for them. For my wife I went with a .38+P and Hornady 90g FTX Critical Defense loads because she hates recoil. For myself I would just get the .357 and be done with it, but would probably run lighter loads through it than I do my Blackhawk. My 9mm stays in the console of my car, loaded with 115g XTP or Gold Dot running a chrono�d 1252fps from my Browning BDM. When travelling in my wife�s car I generally have my PPK .380 in the small of my back. Just bought some Barnes XPD ammo for it and if a range trip proves it functions that will likely become my load of choice. Also have some for the 9mm that I need to try.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.