I wanted contacts for outdoor pursuits, including having the ability to wear different non-prescription fishing sunglasses and shooting glasses, but I didn't want the hassle of maintaining contact lenses.

I opted for the single-use disposable contacts (B&L Accuvues of some sort). You wear them once and throw them away. I think they come in boxes of a 30 day supply.

They might be one of the more expensive options, but I never had plans to wear them every day. Because they are daily disposable, they are supposed to be some of the thinnest, most comfortable contacts to wear; however, the thin construction makes them a little bit more difficult to place in the eye than contacts with a little more body. Every day begins with a clean, sterile lens and no need to mess around with them at night. If you lose or tear a lens, it's not that big a deal when you have 30 spares.

It turned out that I could never get used to wearing contacts without having the feeling that something was in my eye. I tried several brands and types, but never could wear any of them without discomfort. Anyway, I still think that the daily disposables would have been my best option. You could have plenty of extra lenses to pack along, and if something unexpected happened, I'm sure you could probably squeeze an extra day or three out of one set.

Last edited by CoalCracker; 12/18/14.