Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Kurt71
Personally that looks like a typical Funnel type lead that was common back then. I don't think I would do a thing with it till you shoot it using proper bullets in it. Every BPCR rifle I have has that type of throat except one and they shoot quite well.
The photo below has a throat similar except it's not a bottle necked case but the lead is close and it will hold it's own for accuracy.

[Linked Image]

With all due respect, the 8 X 56 RD is, and was designed as a smokeless cartridge, and the pressure curve there is going to be hard put to provide the "bullet bump / slug up" that sorta' throating calls out.

At this point BP is WELL worth trying, and it would be no big deal to equip that rifle with a wiping rod, for field cleaning.

That is what I would try before doing something drastic. Also get a custom bullet mould that fits the throat.
I have shot some very long funnel throated rifles that shoot better then the modern 45 degree chamber ends.
Just look at the .22 rim fire chambers that range from a one degree to a three degree funnel throat. They have been used since their birth and are still used. They are a lead bullet lead.
But it's your rifle and you must be comfortable loading for it for your satisfaction but again that throat will shoot if you spend a little time working with it. you can always change it later on. Or sell me the rifle smile I don't much favor a roller even though I have had several and I don't have a girly caliber so it would still fit in for my use. smile