Every GM 4x4 I've owned since '80, had their version of a locking rear. Never any issues, all went about where I wanted 'em to go within reason. I'll take a pass on shreddin' rear tires, btw.

Bought the '80 used in late fall of '85. First major snow storm we had after I got it, made it up the steep workplace driveway in 2WD, when one guy with a Ford F150 and another with a Ramcharger, barely made it up in FWD.

I probably had better tires than they did though, since I had just put new Firestone ATXs on it? So I "cheated" a bit.

whistle

Posi, limited slip, locker, whatever they're called. Would never own a 4x4 without one. Have known several guys over the years that had 4x4 pickups, Broncos, Blazers, Dodges and other rigs without any sort of limited slip rear in them. All were pretty much useless on icy/snow covered roads when the goin' got tough.

One bud found that out the hard way when he bought a new '94 Chevy off'n the lot without the locker. His old Chevy had it and got around pretty well. He got the new one stuck the first deer season, when he backed into a snow covered field entrance and got stuck.

Spin a wheel on either end and there ya sit, while my trucks with the GM "locker" generally just kept on chuggin' along.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.