Originally Posted by ol_mike
257heaven ,

Which scope do you have ?

hdk182 ,

The rifle might not be perfect but when walking through brush and under limbs with a rifle that sticks up higher than my head -catching the barrel on one after the next gets real old.
I have a couple of model sevens with 18 1/2" barrels and they are a joy to carry -I can tell a difference between them and a 21" barrel rifle I have. Just thinking about trying a different rifle and getting peoples thoughts so thanks.

I totally get that, hence my comments about saving some $$ on a montana and having the barrel chopped.

I carry my 7-08 Montana IN the Adirondacks and have a easy time with it. Being so light, when I get in the real nasty stuff, I carry it in hand and just point it into or let it follow me depending on the situation. I have one aluminum cap on the front of my scope just for this reason, it works great.

I have the vx-3 with a 32mm obj but not lightweight mounts. The clearance is fine and it is as great a compact a rifle as I could ask for. I also dumped a muley with it at 310yds a couple years ago.

If you would like some pics of the setup I'm happy to upload them.

Whatever you go with, you will have an awesome rifle smile

Gun control means hitting your target.