Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Steve,

Wow! And some people claim Partitions won't shoot.

The first .300 Winchester I ever shot was an Ultra Light Model 28 that Melvin loaned me for a few months. In fact it was the first Ultra Light I ever fired. Worked up three loads, one with the 200 Partition, another with an accurate lot of 180 Grand Slams, and one with 165 Hornady Interlocks. Even outdoors, it would put three of each load into a composite 9-shot group under an inch. The most accurate load of the three, however, was the one with the 200 Partitions.

Friend John,

Gale Root told me that if I ever had problems betting Partitions to shoot to just shift to a little faster powder. Gale thought of powders like I do, like gears on in a transmission.

The Partition is basically a Mini� ball and the base needs to be flared in order to fit the bore properly. Often, shifting to the next faster powder increases accuracy ... and sometimes the difference is dramatic. The flaring of the open base is the key.

Experience has proved to me that two gears (of burning rate) is best, owing to fact that some propellants' performance degrades with lowering temperatures.

Garth had a helluva problem getting one of the Leupold range rifles in .338WinMag to shoot with ANY Partitions. I spent a day at the Leupold Range with him just proving that going a powder gear or two faster with Partitions pays INCREDIBLE dividends.

Garth is a believer now.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397