I'm of the opinion that truck campers are a great idea. I started hunting and traveling in one way back in the 60's when they were new in the world of trailer camping.
First of all, make sure what you are looking at is matched to your truck. That Lance Lite you are considering should work on a 1/2 ton truck. But, even with a 3/4 ton truck, I'd strongly recommend installing air bags to level the load.
Lance makes campers that really do allow one to camp year round with some exceptions. When I used to hunt elk in Montana, if it reached -10 F, I'd loose my hot water. But usually I'd get it back. At -20 F, I'd loose my cold water as well. But that too would come back if the weather warmed a bit. Never had a pipe blow out from freezing, BTW. That's because they insulate their campers well, and because they duct warm air from the heating system to the holding tanks.
I've stored mine for years where the wind blows at 50 mph. or more w/o ever having it tip ovver. Lower it to within 6-8 inches of the ground in the back and angle it upward a bit.
They can really make long hunting trips easy to do. I've lived in mine during Montana's elk seasons, and extended elk seasons, for as long as 8 weeks. In the low desert, I just did a four week hunt. Sure is nice to have a hot shower and clean sheets to sleep in, to say nothing of plenty of quality food to eat.
BTW, a camper qualifies as a second home under IRS rules last I heard. That means the interest you pay on one is a tax deduction. E