Hi all,

I grew up using spinning reels exclusively. Baitcasters were viewed as only used for bass in the southern US so no one I know has any. About 5 years ago I decided to try a baitcast setup, mainly to reduce line twist and for a more direct drag system with pike. I like the system so far, but I am struggling to match the distance I can achieve with a spinning outfit.

My current baitcast setup is a Abu Garcia Revo S on a G Loomis IMX CR 723 - 6'. I usually use Suffix 832 in 8 lb as my line on this rig with a fluoro leader. I've played with lightening up the spool tension to the point where I border backlashes but the max distance I get is 15-20 yards. Is this the max that I should expect or is there something wrong with my setup?

I have a number of spinning set ups, but my "go to" spinning set up is a Abu Garcia Soron STX 40 on a G Loomis GL2 SJR 722 6'Med. I use the same line on this unit as well. I can usually cast 35-40 yds with this rig.

I'd like to get the baitcaster figured out better. They aren't used around here much so I can usually find great deals on high end baitcast rods and reels as they are "dead stock". That's much harder to do with any good spinning rods or reels here.

Thanks in advance.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke