I haven't owned a nice shotgun in a long time. They were sold when my kids were born and I've been hunting with some old beaters for the past ten years.
I decided since I will be turning 40 this year and I actually have some money available that I would treat myself to a new upland gun.
I would be using this gun on Pheasants,Woodcock and Grouse.

My local gun shop was very helpful and patient today and let me handle a bunch of really nice guns. My budget is around $1000 give or take and either a 12g or 20g.

Two guns that really stood out for me were the Benelli Montefeltro 20g and the Franchi Instinct L 20g. Both guns are lightweight and shoulder nicely. The Franchi feels a bit nicer in the hand IMO though.

One thing I did notice on shouldering the Montefeltro is that I am literally just staring at the bead (no rib visible when I shoulder and aim) When I shoulder and aim the Franchi a tiny bit of the rib is visible. I am not sure how this would effect my shooting from one gun to the other.

If anyone has an opinion on these two models or other models I should consider please let me know.

Some other guns I handled were
Benelli ultralight 12g
Benelli M2 20g
Franchi Instinct SL 20g
Winchester 101 12g
Franchi Affinity 12g

Last edited by Centurion75; 02/07/15.