I started handloading in January, 1968, with the .338WM, I still have this rifle and it is the slowest of the five P-64 Alaskans I have owned, still have four of these.

RE-22 at 76 grains averages 2800+ (about 10-12 fps) from these 25" tubes, all factory. With, 77 grs. I did get more and chose to back off a grain as I am also very conservative.

H-4350, gave me about 20 fps less and, oddly IME, the Sierra GK was slower over my former club's Oehler, than the 250NP I prefer. This, is in direct contradiction to the results in many other rifles/cartridges I own and have owned over 50 years.+

A former shooting/hunting buddy of mine, now retired in his mid-70s, was a professor at UBC, very well off and with rifles/guns that most can only fantasize about, George Caswell's personal Champlin sheeo rifle in .270 was only one such piece.

This chap, a most meticulous and highly experienced guy, also told me he got 2840 with RE-22, 250 NP and in his 24" tubed .338WM....and I never knew him to BS.

So, again, while I do no longer have my old notes and these results come from the 1990s, I tend to accept Pearce's claims, although, he very probably has a relatively "fast" bbl. and some are faster than others.

I am not seeking argument here, I just am interested in this above all other cartridges and find the thread very absorbing.