Brad, tells us that ...fast barrels, slow barrels, that's all meaningless... and, sorry, I have to disagree on this.

I had my original P-64-.338 in the early 1990s, then, a serious collector and genuine expert on British SS rifles, contacted me from my hometown, offering me another one. I bought it and began loading and chronoing using IMR-4350, my first choice in powders at that time.

My original rifle, bought unfired in January, 1968, gave a consistent 2700+ with my final load of 70 grs, 250 NP, WW brass, CCI-250.

The second rifle was always 35-40 fps faster with exactly the same load, same can of powder, lot of brass, box of bullets and tray of primers. I replicated this several times and the results were consistent.

I soon found another, near mint Alaskan and needed to move to another home, so, sold the second one and never did chrono it with my eventual load of RE-22-76 grs. However, given the average of 2800 fps-mv from the four of these I now have and the increase in Pearce's charge, I am inclined to accept his claim

As I posted, when the weather improves here in the Fraser Valley, I will take all seven .338WM rifles I now have to the Mission, BC, range and test this using my chrony and report back here. This should happen next month, March, 2015, just to see what happens.

I will buy two cans of fresh RE-22 and fresh primers and will even try to get a witness to my tests. I have never even blown a primer in 47 years, thousands of rounds with about a dozen .338s I have owned and I expect that my rifles should be a reasonable example of what can be expected, no offence or anything other than simple interest intended.

I DO agree with Brad on the "hot rodding" issue with this superb round, I have spoken with guys who load 78-RE-22-250Npt......and shot lots of BC game with this load, but, too dicey for this old geezer!

Anyway, lots of fun to debate and discuss here! smile