Originally Posted by 4th_point

So his articles with pressure data in Handloader and the Hodgdon magazine are bogus?

Brad, you can shoot the messenger but claiming that Brian Pearce is a liar is little extreme don't you think? Unless you know something about him that we don't

Good grief dude, you're a little emotional. Not calling him a liar, but if you think all the reloading data in Handloader or Rifle Magazine is pressure tested, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn you can buy.

Brian is a gunwriter. What he writes is not on tablets brought down the mountain from the hand of God, good man he undoubtedly is.

Everyone, gunwriters included, have subjective little prejudices that influence what they do, think, and write. The mind is a slippery slope. Lying doesn't enter into it so just leave that accusation at the door. Life is a bit more complex than that.

Sounds to me like his article, which I haven't read (going on what you say), was leaning heavily on "traditional pressure indications" most of which don't add up to reality (ie, flattened primers, expansion ring measurement, easy extraction,. blah, blah, blah).

It's been pretty well established those sort of indicators don't add up to actual pressures, a gunwirter or anyone's wishes aside.

A chronograph comparing your loads with pressure tested factory data is what equals reality.

The manuals are pressure tested data, even if they don't give you the pressure data.

Granted, there are rounds that are held to low pressures in deference to older actions, but the 338 WM ain't one of them. 64000 PSI is an indication of that!

Not sure why the hell you want to know what cases and primers I used? What does that have to do with anything. Velocity is Velocity and Velocity always = pressure and vice-versa.

"Fast Barrels, Slow Barrels", that's all meaningless .

There are so many variables from the bore to chamber, brass to primers... but the constant is pressure. You can't hit a certain velocity without an identical pressure, no matter how that pressure is achieved.

If a load in a manual shows 2,750 velocity at 64000 psi, you're not going to get 2,850 with 64,000 psi.

So while using the term BS may be a bit abrupt, and wishful thinking may be a more politically correct term, it's the same thing at the end of the day.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery