Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
Operating within your skill level coupled with taking high percentage shots is what it's all about. I don't care if it's 9 or 900, or even 9000 yards a head shot is always a bad choice. To take an already very low percentage shot at long range is even more irresponsible. Believe me I would be just as critical of those "average" 100 yard head shooters too. Hunting isn't the place to show off, do that at the range or when shooting inanimate objects.

I don't do it to show off. I do it under controlled shot situations harvesting meat. I don't even call it hunting really. Since that word seems to piss off folks around here for some reason.

Its a clean fast kill. Meat is in better shape. No mess in the cavity to deal with when cleaning.

its how we shot our cows, our hogs etc...

The brain is a BIG target at closer ranges. Its as big as an good sized orange on our deer. If I can't center up an orange then I've no business shooting.

And if the conditions or me isn't right, I'll go to the lungs and deal with the mess.

but to disregard a head shot is a bit arrogant and ignorant. They work wonders and as noted my success is 100% so far. Thats better than a few folks success at ribcage shots.

And the way I set up for my shots, its dead or miss these days. I shoot high on a high target. Only thing that can do is drop the head which is a miss, or go left/right which is a miss also. If I can hit the brain or the skull surrounding it, its DRT.

I still agree 900 under perfect conditions is not the place to do it though.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....