Although still young, I have quite a few memories from those times. This would have been later 80's, but still during the apartheid time. I don't ever recall being exposed to Apartheid. Suppose this was due to being apart of it. Can't really remember seeing the "Whites Only" signs etc. but my dad had quite a big number of employess (blacks) working for him in those days. He was a cartage contractor, so had trucks and most of his drivers were black males. I do however distinctly remember that they were treated in different manner than what would be acceptable today. They had respect for him, and although they are all old and grey now( Father and the ex employees), they will still shout and greet him in the streets with excitement, after he sold that business roughly 20 years ago.
A little bit later, just before Mandela's release,I can remember people going out and arming themselves, getting ready for the unknown. We all know how that turned out.
What many people don't know, is that it was the white people who signed the referendum to give black Africans equal rights.
The white people did not want "Apartheid" either. It was enforced by the apartheid government. Their rules and laws. Not the people's.
One of the PH's that hunts for me from time to time was part of the "SWAT" teams that had to infiltrate certain areas where terrorists were known to hide. This was in the Eastern Cape, and they were often involved in riot controls. The stuff that the book will cover for sure. The stories from him around the campfire, is something to behold.Always try and pick his brain to get him to tell me a bit more.

The world had put increasing pressure on South Africa during those days, through sanctions, by banning SA from sporting events, not touring South Africa etc, yet today, we see reverse apartheid. Blatant advertisements in newspapers, stating in black and white (excuse the pun) that no whites need to apply. Now the world keeps quiet.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Professional Hunter and Outfitter
South Africa, Namibia, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia
http://www.huntsafaris.co.za
[email protected]