Non-FUBAR question:

Originally Posted by 308cal
I promise, I'm plenty open minded. Serious question: what is the advantage of Mils vs MOA?

Non-FUBAR answer:

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Nice even numbers and factors of 10.

Using MOA to measure group size and scope tracking, you're looking at 1.047" at 100 yards. Not so easy to use that factor in the field. So, say you're testing your scope for tracking and click adjustment values, and you decide to set up a target at 100 yards. Your paper target has a 1" grid system. You dial up 8 MOA, and expect to see a POI shift of how many inches? 8.376". Better bring your dial caliper with you, or else set up the target at 95.51 yards to make each MOA adjustment an even 1". In contrast, using Mils you would set up the target at 100 meters, and each 0.1 Mil adjustment would move the POI by 1 cm, which can easily be used in a grid pattern when you print your targets. So you dial 1 Mil, and you expect to see a POI shift of exactly 10 cm. Nice even number.

Factors of 10- when dialing your elevation turret, with MOA you are typically working with 0.25 or 0.125 MOA clicks. Additionally, MOA turrets usually have 15 or 25 MOA per revolution. Suppose you spot a nice buck at whatever distance you like (that requires dialing your elevation turret), and your dope sheet says you need 16.8 MOA elevation correction. You think to yourself "okay, so I need to dial one complete revolution, which gives me 15 MOA, then an extra 1 MOA, then an extra 3 clicks, which gets me to 16.75 MOA. That's as close to 16.8 MOA as I can get." Each click is a quarter of an MOA, which you have to reconcile in your head. Now with Mils, each click is 0.1 Mil, and Mil turrets usually have 5 or 10 Mils per revolution. This is much easier and more intuitive for your brain to work with. You need 0.4 Mils, that's 4 clicks. Need 5.6 Mils, dial the turret to the "5", and then 6 more clicks. How about 21.2 Mils? Using a 10 Mil per revolution turret, we spin 2 complete revolutions for 20 Mil, and another 1 Mil and 2 clicks. We are trained to work with factors of 10 because of the number system that we have in place- money, decimals, percentage, nearly everything we learn to use in society with regards to numbers, deals in factors of 10. So naturally, it's more intuitive for us to think in increments of 0.1, 1, and 10, than 0.25, 1, and 15. If you think about it, what's easier and quicker for you to remember, figure, and dial into your scope, 34.6 MOA, or 10.1 Mils? Smaller numbers are usually easier to remember and process.

In fairness, I have and use LR scopes with both Mil and MOA turrets/reticles. Both work equally effectively, but the Mil system requires less mental processing power to work with, and subsequently takes slightly less time between spotting the target and getting a corrected shot off.

Amazing, eh?

There were several people pointing you in this direction, and once you dropped the defensive dumbass-itude and ASKED what the difference/advantages were and why folks were making that recommendation, you got a specific answer.

Of course, it took how many times to get you to understand that people were trying to give you good advice from the get-go?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.