Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by 7x64FN
You boys can do whatever you want. In 60+ years of shooting, there is not much I have not sent down range or into animals. I also respect the knowledge of those who have gone before us. Wonder if any of you read that story in Rifle or Handloader where the Berger team went to NZ to hunt stag ? They killed them, bullets went in a few inches and exploded like a varmint bullet on a woodchuck.
In hole was one caliber and closed, there was no exit hole. Had a gust of wind drifted that bullet on to a stout bone, there would have been a lost animal.

Get close, use a hunting bullet and you'll put meat in the freezer. If you want to impress folks with your 600+ yard shots, stick to gongs and paper.

Find an experienced PH or Guide who will disagree ..... well you won't.

If I draw this year, my speed goat rifle will be this. A long "44 Magnum", anyone want to bet I won't put one in the cooler ?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Huh, interesting... I've got a boss in Alaska that's got a bit of "experience" that would whole-heartedly disagree, as he's seen a plethora of Dall sheep and Goats killed with A-Maxes. And I guarantee if somebody showed up with that gigantic POS you posted they'd be laughed back into the gear garage to grab a different rifle.

Tanner

Seems I know of more than a couple guys who have done some guiding that would be in the same camp as your boss...