Originally Posted by Palidun
I have to say that the 7MM Remington magnum is a fine round and that I have used a lot. I have also noticed that getting top velocities is tougher in some rifles than others and that getting those velocities in that particular cartridge with accuracy seems to show that on average it is not as fast with the heavier bullets as most would like. R22 worked best in one of my rifles but I had to search and burn powder and bullets to get there.

Things can get tricky with the bullets 160 gr and up in the 7 Rem Mag,but not impossible. I think we get married to powders along the burn rate of H4831 or R 22 with 160's and sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.

These days we have more and better slower burning powders. There isn't any reason for the OP to be running 2750 with the 162 Amax. It isn't a fussy bullet IME. I run them at 3200 from the 7mm Mashburn Super from a 9 twist and they shoot very well.

I have not used them in the 7 Rem Mag but today first powders up for me would be RL25 and RL26. I have found RL25 to be good with bullets 150 gr and up in the 7 Rem Mag. I have not gotten to RL26 yet but think slow burners along the rate of RL25 and 26 will show good results.

I have a M70 being barreled in 7 RM right now and RL26 will be the first thing I try with 160 gr bullets when it shows up. I expect velocities to be somewhat over 3000 fps.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.