I used a 7mm Rem Mag with a 150gr. Nosler e-Tip at 3,000 fps last year.

My first shot impacted the big front leg bone just below the shoulder, shattering the bone, centered a rib on the way in and traveling straight on angle to the heart...

Only it didn't make it. That bullet just plain ran out of steam perhaps 6" shy of the heart.

The big bull leapt up about 6-8 feet - his entire body length or more vertical...and then he crashed straight down, that right front leg shattered. I could only see his head and it barely looked like I had done nothing more than knock the wind out of him.

He stood up after a time, showed his left side and a second shot went into the high shoulder, breaking the shoulder and possibly the spine. That finished him.

These are the autoposy pix.

[Linked Image]

If you look very carefully, you can see that the big humerous bone was impacted dead center and completely shattered.

[Linked Image]

That rib is about about the width of my wrist and solidly 3/4" thick.

[Linked Image]

Eland are BIG and can take a LOT of punishment. My first shot was right on the money - I needed more penetration. Plain and simple.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My recommendation: go big on the bullet. I'd avoid the Accubond - they expand more than needed and can limit penetration. I'd go Partition or A-Frame and I'd not deny a TSX it's place. 300 grains and 2500 fps will do the job on anything in Africa.

Last edited by rnovi; 03/03/15.

Hunt Africa while you can