If the .375 was "better" than the .338, then I would assume that most hunters in Alaska would have .375's. In Alaska, the .338WM outnumbers the .375 H&H by a wide margin, but it does not mean that the .338 is "better." Both a great cartridges, and whichever of the two one is most proficient with should be the best one.
<br>
<br>The reason why the .338WM is so popular is because most hunters are not hunting bears alone, but instead moose, bears sometimes, caribou, deer, and other Alaska game. The .338 has become much of an "all around" cartridge.
<br>
<br>Also, .33 bullets can keep their own against those for the .375, except that while .33 bullets stop at 300 grains, heavier ones for the .375 are available. The .375 with its greater powder capacity does its best with 300 grain bullets and up, while the .338WM does its best up to 300-grain bullets.
<br>
<br>About shot placement: I remember reading a story from a couple of hunters that shot a brown bear several times with a .338WM and a .375 H&H, then had to track the bear after it ran. They finally killed the bear as it charged them, but it took a couple of fast shots with both rifles. There was no problem with either rifle, just that the hunters may not have hit the right spot until the end.
<br>
<br>Then in the late '60's there was a guy from Anchorage who killed three grizzly bears with five shots from his .338WM. He stepped too close to four grizzlies feeding on a moose carcass and they charged. One of the bears ran, and he killed two of the bears with two shots, and shot one on the shoulder to turn it. This one he killed at point blank with a shot through the head after reloading his rifle. I bet this guy would have done the same with any other rifle of equal power, but the main difference in the outcome was the way he reacted during the charge, and his proficiency with that rifle.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>