Originally Posted by passport
Originally Posted by bea175
The Ruff Grouse worst enemy in the east is the Wild Turkey . They are destroying the Nesting Eggs and Food supply for these upland birds. As the Wild Turkey Population grows the Grouse will cease to exist in these parts of the US.

I never knew this. Good info

I'd be interested in seeing any scientific research that supports this because the research I've read seems to indicate little or no evidence of turkeys destroying grouse eggs or keeping them from getting the food they need.

I grew up in the grouse/turkey woods of Northern Pa. and saw them coexist for decades. What I do know is that winged raptors like horned owls and some hawks take a lot of grouse and we've had a significant increase in numbers in these predators as well as furbearing predators that do raid nests and kill birds. Habitat availability also has a huge effect since grouse thrive in edge cover and forestry/farming practices have changed over the years in our area such that I rarely see the large clear cuts and new growth that grouse can survive in. As cuts grow up, there's less cover and food for grouse so I don't expect to be able to go back to the same spots for 10 or 20 years unless some cutting or planting has been done to replenish preferred grouse habitat.