Originally Posted by safariman
I am totally enjoying this thread! A 38 Super 1911 will be on my short list of guns to aquire when I am back in an aquisition mode, for sure.

How does the 38 Super stack up with other rounds for one shot stops etc? Anyone have data or such for it? With the right bullets, it seems to be it should be right there with the 357Magnum 125gr loads which were considered pretty effective for a long time. If Hornaday were to make a Critical Duty load for it, that one would have to be a pretty snappy and capable loading, one would assume.
One stop shot is a complete myth. That's one of the big reasons that the FBI is going back to the 9mm. Data has shown that it's very rare that one shot actually ends a fight, and often not even two shots end the fight. So they feel since all common combat handgun cartridges are having mostly the same effect (meaning, regardless of cartridge, you still have to shoot multiple times), having more ammo in the magazine is much more important than what cartridge is in the magazine. And even though I carry a single column magazine gun, I can't really find much flaw with their conclusions.