"longest service from", I've got a Diawa Emblem S 200iAs I bought in 1997 that's been used a lot with no maintenance. I've also got three Shimano Symetre's I've had almost as long. They all cost a little under $100.

If I was going to pick one brand today for quality and service it would be Shimano. One of the Symetre's was replaced by Shimano, no charge, after I broke it, sent it to them for repair and told them it was my fault.

A couple of years ago someone here said that even the cheaper spinning reels are made well enough to do the job and last a while. Use them till they quit (if they do) and replace them. It's as economical as having them serviced and a lot less hassle then doing it yourself. For average freshwater fishing I'm starting to agree with whoever said that. I've got a couple of Shimano Siennas, a 2500 and 1000 that are going into their third year with no problems. They cost about $30.00 and work fine. If they wear out I can get another for what it would cost to service them.