Originally Posted by eyeball
Yep. There should be a season. Btw, how was your duck hunting season on the east side?

Fair to middlin'. Winter took a long time to get here (though boy when she came through it was like a freight train), and when our deep freeze comes late, it can be tough. Thing is, if all the backwater beaver ponds, swamps, sloughs, lakes, rivers, etc., etc., don't freeze, as long as there is food available, the ducks won't move. It's when the freeze comes early, like mid-December, that we do particularly well on the coast and on the larger rivers, as the birds are forced to evacuate from the water bodies locking up and will head for the coast and/or open water. Or, head south, of course.

We of course will make it a point to find them, but since certain places with appropriate cover and food get thick with birds, if you shoot them too much they'll skedaddle.

Shot up some black ducks and hunted some local spots early, but by in large it wasn't a year to write home about. Looking forward to next season. Got a trip booked and paid for to finally get after my king eider and harlequin on some wee island off the AK coast. Will likely be adding a couple other flavors I'm missing in the collection in ID before making the leg west to AK, as well as some salmon and steelhead. A nice long season of local fishing in fresh and salt, and dreams of that trip will get me through the dreaded heat that is sure to come in summer. Ah, well... wink Cheers.