Hatari:

Yoshi donated his extensive collection of lifesize trophies to a museum in Japan before I interviewed him at his home and office in Honolulu for that book.

He and his wife were gracious people, but interviewing him was difficult because he was 90 years old and deaf, and he was drinking a bottle of White Label scotch every day.

To get what I needed to write his book, I spent ten days going through six large filing cabinets where his various secretaries had filed receipts, correspondence, etc. from his many hunting trips over a lifetime, then cross-checking what I found in those files against his entries in the SCI record books, and using what I knew about hunting techniques for the various species and locales to describe "his" stalks. I also interviewed his friends and hunting pals and spent two days in the Honolulu newspaper's "morgue."

I cannot describe how shocked I was when every proof of the manuscript I sent him and Kay was returned without a single change.

Yoshi died within a couple of months after the book came out. I am glad I was able to preserve some of his stories.

Bill Quimby