Well labarr and I are back home safely.

It was freakish thing this storm. We knew the rain was coming, and Sponxx & his family had just arrived. We went over to the barn to help them unload, and it was sprinkling. Two young kids and some gear were successfully unloaded. A second later WHOOSH the rain was suddenly torrential, and sideways. We stood in the barn, in shock, especially when the tree fell and hit power lines, causing a big arc. One kid was still in the car, and Pablo braved the wind & rain to retrieve the last child, but a few moments later all were safely out of the weather.

This photo is pretty telling:

[Linked Image]

The tent in the distance was originally pitched right next to the nearest one. The windstorm picked it up, including ~70 lbs of gear inside, and took it over the shed, over/through two 20 foot tall trees, and dumped it about 30 yards from where it was originally staked down. I straightened up the tent the next morning, and took the picture. The rain fly was ripped off, and there were numerous tears in that tent.

If it was not a tornado, at a minimum it was a microburst, with hurricane force winds. And when Dennis says he turned into a human wind sock, I believe it. It was like flipping a switch, an instant on hurricane.

But the most remarkable thing about the event, to me was how calm everyone remained, and once the violent wind died, how much everyone pitched in to help one another. People were still looking out for one another, continuing to serve the dinner that was interrupted. It looked like Ed was also getting a good response from his insurance people. Electricians and tree trimmers were hard at work by afternoon.

It truly was a terrific bunch of people at this gathering, and I look forward to attending next year. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."