Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns

Insufficient penetration due to light weight and inadequate sectional density.

Might be ok on the perfect behind the shoulder shot on a smaller deer, but it's just not a wise choice for general use.

As I said before, though, I applaud the experiment and I hope the results are better than I would expect.

In 2013 season I shot a 200 lb (Dressed) doe with a 53 grain TSX.

It made a 3 inch diameter hole through both shoulders and exited. She ran 100 feet or so and tipped over dead with a train wreck in her chest with the remnants of the heart loose in the chest. I shot a second deer that year with the 53 grain TSX and had virtually identical results from the other side of a 150 lb deer. and I started that bullet 300 FPS slower.

I have shot a bunch of them with .243s and light .270 and 30-06 TSX/TTSX bullets. All told, between myself and the people I load for we've killed 80 odd deer with Barnes bullets. We have recovered exactly one. All the rest were pass throughs. That single captured bullet was a 130 grain 30 caliber running about 3150 FPS and was a corner to corner shot on a good sized buck.

They not only go through meat, they go through bone without showing much difference that I can see. I put a 110 grain .270 bullet through both shoulder blades, a total of six ribs edgewise, and the spine. For all I know it's still going because it went right on through. Bambi however is not still going. Bambi was on the ground dead before the sound of the shot got there.