As a surplus of caution in the Interior Alaska woods, I carry a S&W mod. 329PD with BuffaloBore 255 grain loads plus a Kimber Pepperblaster. I'm considering adding a Falcon "marine signal horn" to my non-winter woods kit.

I've been using one in my boat for several years, but discovered this winter that my very old sled dogs and our Border Collie, who are near totally deaf, can hear that obnoxiously loud horn. When out of sight, they quickly slink back with a guilty look on their faces. When I honk at them when I can see them, they act like it almost blows them over. They are startled... and run to Dad. Even with my poor hearing, the horn is painfully loud.

It has been suggested by a local guide that the marine signal horn can be used as a bear deterrent. This makes sense to me, although I'd like to hear other opinions.

Up until now, my bear drill has been pepper spray in the left hand, 44 in the right. I think perhaps the horn should be the first resort, then the PepperBlaster and the 44.

I'd like to hear thoughts from those who deal with bears frequently, particularly Phil.

Thanks.