Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Comparisons of recoil from males will result in poor and/or misguided information. I have taught dozens of women from children to grandmothers and rest assurd in identical setups of guns/scopes, none favored a 7-08 above a 243. Nor for that matter a 260, 308, 270 or any other "low recoiling" cartridge. The only chambering that they picked more is the 223.

While for most adult males the difference in recoil between a 95gr bullet from a 243 and a 120/130/140gr from a 7-08 may go unnoticed, to children and women it does not. And in truth everyone will notice the difference after a full day of of practice with 100-200 rounds.

Killing is easy yet so many seek to make it difficult. A 243 with 95gr Nosler BallisticTips put into the chest will turf every deer that walks and in spectacular fashion. Killing "power" is about hitting and hitting with a rifle is all about proper practice which is directly correlated to round count. More primers will be popped with a 243 than with a 7-08 and the body count follows the same.

I've never hunted with a .243 but I know plenty who do and swear by then. My concern with the .243 is with bear hunting. The bears around here can get quite large. Although most bears that are taken go around 200lb or so its not uncommon to see one that is well over 300 and every season someone shoots one close to or even over 500lbs. I know that shot placement is king but will a well placed .234 be reliable on a large bear? Thanks, I appreciate your advice.