When a mini runs, it usually ruins well. I had to send an older mini in to ruger for extraction issues. They replaced the bolt and it has been fine. I had to send a new mini in for ejection issues. I believe they replaced the bolt on that one as well and it has been fine.

The firing pins are reputed to be less than durable on the mini 30 when using steel cased ammo, and it is a factory fitted part. I had ruger fit an extra firing pin to my newer mini when it was in for the ejection issues and they did it gratis.

Lots of folks claim ruger QC has been in the toilet for a while. I don't know about that as I have bought a few Rugers lately and the mini has been the only problem I have had.

Just like anything, if you recognize and respect the limitations of the platform you will be happy. If you insist on comparing the bench rest accuracy to an AR, which just happens to be one of the most accurate platforms period, you will be disappointed.

I used mine for a number of years as an actual 'ranch rifle'. The only trouble I had out if it in that role was the rough action destroyed a cheap scope I threw on there that I took off a rifle I traded I to. Mount something a little bit better and it was good to go.

The bottom line is this. If you are not wed to/attracted to the action and ergos of the mini, there is no reason to get one. If you are attracted to and like AR's, there is no reason to get a mini. However, if you like the feel and action of the mini, you will be happy with it as long as your accuracy expectations are in line with reality. It is a great woods bumming/camping gun.