Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by jimmyp
So in summary can we say that the mini is an over priced inaccurate yet well handling and attractive POS? smile
I don't know that I'd go that far. In comparison to the AR, it comes up on the short end. On it's own as a SPORTING rifle, it's really one of, if not the best sporting semi-autos ever built. (and by sporting, I mean built to be a sporting rifle, not as a military rifle)

Generally speaking they've VERY reliable for a sporting semi-auto in comparison to the Remington 7400 or Browning BAR.

And while they're not very accurate, they're certainly sufficiently accurate for most anything you'd ask of it as a truck gun. And yeah, it can fill in as a defensive rifle in a pinch if need be.

I think the thing to like about it is it's conventional stock which gives the rifle an overall height of about 1/3 of an AR, so it tucks into your truck much better than the AR. And the conventional stock is much more comfortable for those who prefer the old school stocks.

I actually like the Mini 14 a lot. But it has gotten way too expensive while the costs of AR's have gone down. If I could pick up a Mini 14 for around $450-ish, I'd get one and be happy with it.

There is one thing on the Mini 14 that is actually MUCH better than the AR, and that's the magazine. Constant curve and steel with a good follower, it's a damn good 5.56 magazine.

OTOH I've NEVER had an issue EVER with 20 round AR mags, except eventually feed lips needing a retweaking. At least the AL ones don't rust like the steel ones do.

If you can't find a good follower in an AR mag, you ain't looking very hard.
Yep, I LOVE 20 Rounders!!! These days the best 30 rounder is the Lancer AWM steel/synthetic!!! As good as an AR mag gets.