There is a plot of 72 acres down the road from the family land I grew up on. It has been for sale for close to 15 years. About the time in went up for sale, the original owner had it clearcut, then zoned industrial. As it turns out, these were both mistakes. The agricultural land that had timber in the area sold for a good prices in the years leading up to the bubble pop 10 years ago.

The original owner died a number of years ago. It is now owned by his widow. She, like him, is very wealthy and lives out of town.

About a year go, they got the zoning changed back to agriculture, except to a high use agriculture with plenty of development potential.

So a few months after the zoning change, I contacted a realtor friend and we took a look. The seller's agent met us out there. He has been the agent for about 4 years, and there were 2 or 3 others on the property over the years since it went on the market. I am the first person that has viewed since he took it over. They had a hard time finding the plat. At one point he made the comment "we just need to sell this place."

The property is being marketed for development. I just want it as additional hunting ground close to the family place. I have considered what I am willing to pay, and it is about 35-40% of asking price. My realtor was thinking I might get it for 80% if I'm lucky. But it has been on the market 15 years without an offer...lol. And the owner has another tract for sale across the road twice the size in the same boat.

After viewing the property, I decided if I came in too fast after the zoning change, it might give them false hope that more interest may be out there with the rezoning, and they would be less likely to come down to my price. So I decided to wait a year before making the offer. That year is almost up.

I am afraid they may decide to put it to auction before taking a low offer. I would be out altogether in that case. Not sure the best way to negotiate the offer. It is low, but there is no interest in the property. Also, the property is now a 15 year clear cut that is years away from marketable timber. Viewing the plat there is an encroachment of a vacant trailer straddling one border. It does have highway and river frontage, but it is generally not a place people will want to put a dream home do to surrounding land uses (industry, modest income homes, etc)

Any suggestions on the best way to make it happen much appreciated.