Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Hoof supplement won't help here. The soles are so soft from all the moisture, the vet figures the mule might have brusied itself,causing the abcess.

I talked to one of the vet at Red River Equine about hoof supplement to help harden the soles of an accessed foot and he said that it helped. I told I thought it did but a lot of people tell me I am full of it. I know I've seen a difference on the ones that I've tried it on.

Not saying it won't help nor did I say you were full of it. Only that we have had serious wet weather here.The most rain in May for Colorado since records were kept and my reply was the one my vet stated. My one mule is 18years old,never had shoes on and feet are like iron. The other is 16 years old and it is hard to even drive a nail thru them. Mule feet are a lot tougher than horse feet. As I mentioned since I have only encountered two abcesses in 40 + years, I don't think I have an epidemic nor do I need supplments and giving them after the fact isn't going to help as long as we have mud everywhere.It might help others who have horses.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles